Hudson River Blog

Created by a sophomore seminar at Hamilton College, this blog considers the past, present, and future of the Hudson River, once described by Robert Boyle as "the most beautiful, messed up, productive, ignored, and surprising piece of water on the face of the earth."

Monday, January 29, 2007

Local History and Our Sense of Place

Sense of place is shaped by numerous factors. We discussed in class how our values of solitude, pride, family, beauty, and friendship among others influence our feelings of place. Not only does our family history shape our sense of place but local history also can give an area a distinct feeling. In the introduction of The Hudson, author Tom Lewis tells the incredible story of the Bannerman’s Island Arsenal on Pollepel Island in the Hudson. This fascinating piece of local history, which is vital to our national history, is unknown to most living outside of the region and gives this area of the Hudson an unmistakable sense of place. Most of us probably know a story of lore about our own place, a nuance that gives it meaning to us and not to someone else. These stories of local history are what make every place special and are what help to define our sense of place.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy Gibson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:00 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Gibson said...

I agree that it is the little things that make everyone's certain "place" special. My special place is the Nissequoge River in my hometown of Kings Park, Long Island. The river is beautiful and any passerby might say it was special. But I have so many memories on this river that make it more than just a pretty landscape. When I was younger my family and I used to go hiking through the woods and watch my dog hunt. We would swim in the river and Blackie would join us in the water too. As I grew older I was able to explore more of the river by going on all day canoe and kayaking trips with my friends. The largest boulder on the beach has all of our names spray-painted on it. When I think of home I think of the Nissequoge. It is not the river that is so dear to me, but all of the memories that the river has given me the opportunity to make.

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home