Hudson River Blog

Created by a sophomore seminar at Hamilton College, this blog considers the past, present, and future of the Hudson River, once described by Robert Boyle as "the most beautiful, messed up, productive, ignored, and surprising piece of water on the face of the earth."

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Erie Canal

For those who have not yet had the pleasure of hearing the song that all New York children grew up learning, here is a link with the lyrics and a sound clip.
http://www.springsteenlyrics.com/lyrics/e/eriecanal.php (Lyrics)
http://www.songsforteaching.com/folk/eriecanal.htm (Sound clip)

2 Comments:

Blogger TJE said...

This brings back memories of my children in school. As Mr. Shen will attest, the Erie Canal was a very big deal at HCS. If he's willing to move off of the topic of fish, perhaps he can tell us about his archeological dig near the Hudson.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I pass the Erie Canal driving between my house in Massachusetts and Hamilton, and my mom and I always sing this song (the parts that we can remember) when we reach the canal. Seeing the lyrics and thinking about them in the context of the history of transportation and commerce somewhat changes the song for me. Our class is reading Wedding of the Waters, by Peter L. Bernstein, which discusses how the canal was built and how it helped to shape New York and the United States. It is helping me to see that the canal was and is more than a landmark that I pass on my way to college, traveling on the highway with the trucks that have replaced Sal (though she first had to “look around for a job” after the canal was enlarged and steam-powered boats could be used).

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home