Hudson River Blog

Created by a sophomore seminar at Hamilton College, this blog considers the past, present, and future of the Hudson River, once described by Robert Boyle as "the most beautiful, messed up, productive, ignored, and surprising piece of water on the face of the earth."

Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Hudson River: A New Sense of Place

The Hudson River has always represented a part of my childhood, my home, and my family history. My grandmother grew up on Manhattan in Hell’s Kitchen and regularly swam in the river. By the time I was old enough to communicate, I learned from my parents that one did not swim in the Hudson River under any circumstances. I have noticed, however, the gradual healing process that the river is going through. It is cleaner than it used to be; when I cross the Tappan Zee Bridge to go into Rockland County or stroll in a riverside park I notice more and more water-skiers, kayakers and windsurfers darting across the water.

Even though I associate the river with home, the Hudson River has never been a particularly significant aspect of my identity. When the plans were announced to take a trip to visit various locations by the Hudson River, I was slightly irked that I had to miss several important classes and wake up at 5:30 a.m. (an insurmountable challenge for a college student) in order to visit a region I have grown up with and experienced for my entire life. As we climbed up Kaaterskill falls and spoke with the city planner at Newburg however, I realized that prior to taking this class, I had known extraordinarily little about the Hudson River Valley region considering I live in Westchester. I was looking at the river with different eyes, with a much greater respect for its unique history, culture, and environment. I feel that with my deeper understanding of this region came a deeper sense of pride and respect for the Hudson River. I probably owe my very existence to this river.

This learning process has also led me to realize that instilling a strong sense of place within the people in this region is essential to the Hudson River’s health in both an environmental and economic sense. Appreciation of the river is growing and growing, but there is always room for improvement. People will invest resources into an area if they are proud of it. There is more incentive than ever to preserve the history, culture and environment of this region. It is important to monitor the river so that we do not experience over-development and tax the river and its resources. With increased awareness, I care a great deal more about the Hudson River than I once did. I think that we can help the Hudson River heal, but we have to keep people interested and aware, and maintain the sense of place through preservation of its bountiful resources.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home