Hudson River Blog

Created by a sophomore seminar at Hamilton College, this blog considers the past, present, and future of the Hudson River, once described by Robert Boyle as "the most beautiful, messed up, productive, ignored, and surprising piece of water on the face of the earth."

Monday, January 29, 2007

Why Didn't I know?

After being enlightened by Shorto's "The Island at the Center of the World", I couldn't help but thinking why I didn't know much of this story. As a history buff in high school and now a history major at Hamilton, I would like to think that I am at least fairly well versed in American history especially that of New York state. However, I think many history courses have downplayed the importance of New Amsterdam/New York City to the survival of the union. I knew so little about its importance to the colonization, defense, and industrialization of the continent.

So my question is why didn't I know? I suppose it could be that it was taught and I overlooked it. But I hope that's not the case. Instead, I wonder if the colonies' non-English roots could be the reason. As I look back, the emphasis was always put on the colonies in Virginia and Massachusetts. The stories of these other colonies are just as interesting but they were downplayed while their importance is astounding. Any other ideas?

1 Comments:

Blogger nfash said...

Johnney- As the Gr. Granddaughter of Claes Swits, I have studied this early period fairly extensively. Claes's daughter Jillije was my Gr. Grandmother and she married into the Bogart line and their son, my next Gr. Grandfather married into the Schermerhorn family. My roots are extensive in this period of American history and it is disappointing that we do not know more. Some of this has come to light with the translation (1974) of the earlies records. My Great-Grandfather Harman Van Der Bogaerdt also wrote a journal that is mentioned in Shorto's book and is worth reading. From one history buff to another- keep digging!

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home