Hudson River Blog

Created by a sophomore seminar at Hamilton College, this blog considers the past, present, and future of the Hudson River, once described by Robert Boyle as "the most beautiful, messed up, productive, ignored, and surprising piece of water on the face of the earth."

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Sense Of Place Becomes Real

Sense of place, a topic that was talked about during the first week of the class, was something that seemed like a strange question. I had no idea how this was related to the Hudson River. During our class’ investigation of the river, past, present, and future, I have come to realize that sense on place does have relevance to our study of the Hudson River and surrounding communities. On our boat trip, we could see Storm King mountain and the awesome beauty of it. Looking at the mountain and seeing the scar across the face of the mountain, I could understand why people would donate thousands if not millions of dollars as well as hours of their time to protect it. Although Storm King Mountain is not in my sense of place, I can see why to thousands of people it could’ve been. It truly is beautiful and I don’t know if it would be with a large electric generation facility carved into the side of it. I must say although the Hudson River Valley does not lack in beauty, my soul is still lost in on the Upper Delaware River system.



For my final thoughts on the classes, I would first like to point out that more and more of you are now blogging about fish... I will convert you all! I first thought that "The Once and Future Hudson" would be a dry subject that would quickly become drawn out and boring, but it turned out to be the exact opposite. I feel like we could have explored this topic for another semester.

And for my final signoff, I am a fish freak, and now you all know it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home