Hudson River Blog

Created by a sophomore seminar at Hamilton College, this blog considers the past, present, and future of the Hudson River, once described by Robert Boyle as "the most beautiful, messed up, productive, ignored, and surprising piece of water on the face of the earth."

Thursday, May 03, 2007

The People Make the Place

First of all, let me say that our field trip to the Hudson River was much more meaningful than I thought it would be. As others have remarked, seeing the places that we learned so much about was helpful in providing the framework for our sense of place. The most spectacular of these was Bannerman’s Castle on Pollipel Island. Even at a distance from the boat, the architecture and aesthetic appeal of the castle was brilliant. I only wish that we could have gotten closer or toured the island. Kaaterskill Falls was more beautiful then I had imagined it would be too. It was obvious how this place had inspired so many of the Hudson River School to create mystical paintings around the area. Experiencing Newburgh and Hudson was intriguing in a different way. To see how urban renewal is trying to work and the condition of cities along the Hudson in our postindustrial society was interesting and informative.

The thing that had the most profound effect on me was the people. From the fishermen and city planner in Newburgh, to the captain of the water taxi and the Mayor of Hudson, the people of the Hudson give me hope for the future. With so many having a stake in the future of the Hudson, the only place for the river to go is up. To experience the culture that is unique to the valley was really a treat. While some may argue that it is geography or material things that make a place, I disagree. To me, it is the people and culture that make the Hudson unique. I am glad that I was able to experience this place for the first time yesterday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home